Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU
The Radio Equipment Directive (RED) has been published in the Official Journal of the European Union.
The RED contains a number of changes compared to the current R&TTE
- Sound and TV broadcast receivers come into scope of RED.
- Fixed Line Telecommunication equipment is no longer included.
- “Radio Determination” equipment is included.
- Additional requirements on software that can effect radio parameters.
- Additional requirements for product labelling and manufacturer risk assessment.
What should manufacturers do?
Individual products that were “placed on the market” before 13 June 2017 do not have to be updated to the RED – note, this rule applies to each individual item and not to a whole product range.
In all other circumstances, manufacturers should update compliance to the Radio Equipment Directive as soon as possible.
Whilst all R&TTE radio spectrum standards have been (or are being) updated to meet the additional requirements of the RED, the results of tests against many individual clauses for R&TTE Directive may well be sufficient for the RED. The differences, and additional tests that are required, can be identified in a RED Gap Analysis that we can perform for you.
In addition, Sulis Consultants are tracking the progress of a number of key ETSI standards here.